Town of Cumberland
Description & Overview:
This 481-acre area is a former Trappist Abbey purchased by the Town of Cumberland in the 1970's. The abbey building, severely damaged by fire in 1950, was rebuilt and expanded as the town library. The town senior center was constructed behind the library and is adjacent to the open space conservation area with miles of trails though the woods and fields. The trails nearest to the town buildings are nearly level and handicapped accessible. The trails further away cross hilly terrain. Several of the fields are maintained and cut as hayfields, others are being allowed to grow in and are for wildlife habitat. Along the trails remnants of a quarry, apple orchard, farm road causeway, and miles of stone walls are still visible. On the property is the site of Nine Mens' Misery where in 1676 nine colonists were tortured to death by Narragansett Indians during King Philip's War.
Hours: sunrise to sunset, open all year
Miles of Trails: 7 miles
Miles of ADA Accessible Trails: 1. mile
Trail Width: Typical one person footpaths and wider
Trail Rating: Moderate Explanation
Trail Rating Key
Easy: Trails are relatively smooth and the route is quite obvious such as a single point to point trail or an easy network of trails in an urban or suburban setting where help is always readily at hand. A map may be useful but is not necessary.
Moderate: Somewhat more strenuous trails or harder to follow trails. Trails are well-marked but following them requires a trail map and a trail map is readily available either at the site or online.
Difficult: Strenuous trails, trail systems that mostly involve multi-mile loops and trail systems where there is no available trail map or the trails are not marked.
Are Dogs Allowed? Yes
Is Horseback Riding Permitted? No
Are Bicycles (non-motorized) Permitted? No
Is Hunting Permitted? No
Other Amenities: Restrooms are available in the adjacent town library, when the library is open.
Trailhead Name: Beauregard Loop Trailhead
Driving Landmarks: 1464 Diamond Hill Rd (Rt. 114) is the entrance to the town library and senior center. Near the senior center is the trail head and parking.
Parking: Yes: Parking lot, 24 spaces, no overnight parking
ADA Accessible Parking Spaces? Yes
The data on this website come from many sources, including volunteers and organizations across the state of Rhode Island and nearby parts of Massachusetts. We have done our best to make sure the data are accurate and up to date, but any information critical to the success of your trip should be confirmed before you start. The maps and information on this website should not be substituted for topographic maps or other more detailed maps and guides. We welcome corrections and additions. To send a correction or provide other feedback, please use our feedback form (see link above).
This site report was last updated on November 7, 2016